Experiments with Google's Nik software

September 18, 2015  •  Leave a Comment

I've been trying to recover some images that I took in 2011 when my Nikon D3 was dying in a rather spectacular. It had got wet when I was caught in some rain in Tallinn, Estonia. The LCD displays had fogged up, which indicated to me that the seals had not worked as expected and true for form bad things started to happen. I continued to shoot with it although it was obviously not a happy camper. The most obvious symptom was it was having trouble metering and so was overexposing images but less obviously auto focus wasn't. Originally it had seemed to have given up completely but while it's function returned it's accuracy didn't. After attempting to correct some of the overexposed images in Lightroom I decided to give the various components of the Nik software suite a chance too.

One of the images I played with was an "slightly" overexposed image of the Pont des Arts in Paris.

Original imageOriginal image

I corrected it in Lighroom 6 but it was clear that there were still problems with it so maybe one of the Nik components could improve it.

Lightroom 6Lightroom 6

Here is one attempt with Color Efex Pro 4.

Color Efex Pro 4Color Efex Pro 4

Maybe it would work in Black and White so the corrected image got given to Silver Efex Pro 2 and the "Wet Rocks" process applied.

Silver Efex Pro 2Silver Efex Pro 2

Finally Analog Efex Pro 2 gets a run.

Analog Efex Pro 2Analog Efex Pro 2

There was just not enough detail left where the sun was in the sky so ultimately I don't think anything really works but it's an interesting exercise to show what can be done to recover an image as long as it's shot in raw.

 


Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...

Archive
January February March April May June July August September (2) October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December